Monday, February 9, 2015

Why are there no exercise descriptions on task cards...

That is a very common question that we get from customers...or the derivative question: "Are there descriptions on the task cards?" There are no descriptions or tips or anything like that on the task cards. (The prep packs and full sized rally signs are a different creature and they do have information featured on them. ) The task cards are blank on the back by design.

Here is a perfect example of why there are no exercise descriptions on the back of the task cards. Recently, "Scent Articles" from my AKC Utility Obedience task pack was pulled. Lars worked on his turn and sits sends mostly and worked the scent pile like we normally do.



But, Ocean needed something else when it comes to scent articles which I have never had to do before with a dog. He got to play the "shell game" for his scent article task. He doesn't understand this is a job where he uses his nose...find the food under the right cup = "search" which is my article command. He's starting to get it and I think I can start moving this game to two articles soon. (Ocean thinks he needs to bring me all of the articles!)

Then fast forward a couple of weeks of slowly transitioning from the red dixie cups to actual metal scent articles. We slowly increased the number of metal articles so Ocean could be right more than he could be wrong. But now, he understands and really likes this "search game!" He cheats and watches me where I put the article...that's why he has to hide in the bathroom. I had dropped a piece of food under the article by accident when I placed it...I was pleased that he wasn't distracted by it and took the article instead of the food first.

 

This is why I don't spell out how to do stuff on the backs of the cards. The what you choose to do with the task has to fit where you dog is that day. The task cards are there to start the gears turning in your head...and not train by flow chart. Do you need the full exercise that day? Do you need a game derived from that task? Or, do you need a small part of that exercise to be more polished? This is how the task cards work...to guide you and to get you to really think and focus what you will work on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment